UPDATE! The OpenStack Fundamentals (OS50) has been updated for the OpenStack Rocky release
This OpenStack primer is a revised version of our top selling OpenStack Bootcamp I (OS100) course with focus on developing business perspectives and understanding the basics of OpenStack. This course is intended for OpenStack end-users such as project managers, business developers, and sales engineers who require cloud platform operational skills and a high level understanding of cloud computing internals, using OpenStack. The course is broken up into two sections: lectures and labs.
The lectures provide students with the basics of cloud computing, OpenStack business values, OpenStack Overview, and the OpenStack Ecosystem.
The labs provide students with hands-on experience using the Horizon dashboard to provision your own cloud resources like virtual machines, virtual networks, and block storage. Students will also gain experience managing their own application image repository.
This quick yet comprehensive introductory OpenStack basics course is led by Mirantis engineers. Passionate about teaching, every Mirantis instructor is committed to helping IT professionals of all skill levels advance their expertise in OpenStack, offering individual help and facilitating students in understanding class materials.
- Average required time to complete the course: 8 hours
- Access to labs: 3 days
- Lab Extensions: 3 maximum
- Access to lectures: 1 year
- Project Managers
- Pre-Sales / Sale Engineers
- Development Engineers
- Business Stakeholders
- Laptop with Web Browser
- The objective of the class is to help all students speak intelligently about OpenStack.
- By the end of this course, students will be able to describe compelling enterprise use cases of OpenStack with a high level understanding of OpenStack components and how they interrelate.
- Furthermore, students will gain knowledge of operating an OpenStack cluster as an end-user which equates to valuable hands-on experience for business developers and sales engineers to seamlessly transition from pre-sales to successfully closing deals.
- This course is also the perfect pre-cursor to the Mirantis OCM50 exam.
Module 1: Introduction to OpenStack
- What is Cloud?
- OpenStack business value
- What is OpenStack?
- What is unique about OpenStack?
- OpenStack Foundation
- Introducing the OpenStack projects
- OpenStack APIs
- OpenStack Ecosystem
- How do you get OpenStack?
- OpenStack deployment considerations
Understanding the classroom environment
Exploring the Dashboard UI (Horizon)
Create and manage images
Module 2: OpenStack Architecture
- Request Process Flow - Deploy an Instance
- Dashboard UI (Horizon)
- Identity Service (Keystone)
- Compute Service (Nova)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Network Service (Neutron)
- Block Storage Service (Cinder)
- Resource Quotas
Paul Quigley is a Technical Curriculum Developer/Trainer in the Mirantis Training team, with a current focus on OpenStack. Paul has been involved in cloud technologies for over 10 years and OpenStack for over 7 years along with experience using VMware and KVM as hypervisors, provisioning workflows, cloud costing/billing/rating, and more.
When not working with OpenStack: Paul enjoys spending his time with his family, including his 4 grandchildren. Paul is also an avid NY Yankees fan!